Before you start preparing for IIT JEE, which is the entrance exam for admissions to some of the most prestigious engineering colleges of India, you need to have clarity on the study material that you are going to refer to while preparing for JEE. There are a lot of books written by a lot of authors which makes it difficult in judging which books to study from.
Time is of the essence while preparing for JEE which makes it essential to focus only on the books that matter and which can be the most effective in preparing for JEE. It is essential to be sure of the books that you choose to follow and to have your complete faith in them along your journey of preparation because these books are what will help you gain the knowledge that is required in order to crack IIT JEE. NCERT books are the common ones across all 3 subjects of Physics, chemistry, and maths.
Here are some leading IIT JEE Study Materials often recommended by subject specialists to prepare for IIT JEE –
1. Physics – Physics is one of the subjects in which students tend to suffer a lot more as compared to chemistry and maths which makes it all the more important for students to select the study material carefully which can aid them in understanding the concepts of all the chapters.
· HC Verma part 1 & 2 – HC Verma is an excellent book that explains several complex topics of physics in an easy-to-understand language. The theory in this book explains several high-level topics with relative ease which cements the concepts in the head of the students studying it helping them in utilizing these concepts when solving problems. There are also a lot of questions given in this book that has been designed and structured in such a way that tests the conceptual clarity of students and improves their analytical and problem-solving skills.
· DC Pandey – After understanding the basic concepts from NCERT and HC Verma, DC Pandey offers a plethora of questions using which students can practice a wider variety of questions of different levels of difficulty. There are separate books from DC Pandey for different topics such as Mechanics, Electricity and Magnetism, and other topics as well. There is a Level 1 in questions which comprises of relatively easy questions which can be solved by students with good conceptual clarity without much difficulty. Then comes Level 2, which consists of more difficult questions as compared to Level 1 including some of the questions that have been asked in JEE in previous years. This variety of questions gives enough practice to students on each and every topic, thus clearing their concepts and making them confident in each topic of Physics.
· IE Irodov – Irodov book is recommended by teachers to students who are looking to practice difficult questions in order to prepare themselves for JEE Advanced exam. Irodov has a wide range of questions of high difficulty from each topic, which if solved means that the student has a good grasp of Physics chapters.
2. Chemistry – Chemistry as a subject, is termed as one of the easier ones as compared to Physics and Maths, with students looking to make it as their most scoring subject so that they are able to capitalize in Chemistry and make up for their weaknesses in Maths and Physics. However, it does not at all mean that Chemistry is easy to prepare for IIT JEE. Chemistry is further divided into 3 parts – organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry, and physical chemistry.
Table of Contents
· Organic Chemistry –
· MS Chouhan Advanced problems in organic chemistry for practice – MS Chouhan is perhaps the most referred to book when preparing organic chemistry for IIT JEE as it contains a wide spectrum of questions distributed in different levels throughout the book. Solving questions from a basic level will check your basic knowledge of organic chemistry and solving questions from this level will give you confidence in attempting questions from higher levels as well.
· Solomon’s Fryle for Theory – This book has explained the theory of organic chemistry in exceptional depth, building up your knowledge from the ground up and thus helping you in building confidence in the basic concepts required to solve problems based on organic chemistry.
· Inorganic Chemistry –
· Problems in inorganic chemistry By VK Jaiswal – This book by VK Jaiswal has an abundance of questions that cover nearly every detail of inorganic chemistry, thus testing out your knowledge of the same. The questions are strategically placed, starting from easier questions on basic concepts to build up your confidence before moving on to questions from more nuanced topics and concepts.
· Physical Chemistry –
· Narendra Avasthi physical chemistry book – N Avasthi has lots of simple questions to enhance your speed and revision and application of simple direct concepts. There are a variety of questions that will require the use of logical thinking in order to make use of the formula you know to solve the question. Practicing from this book will improve time management, which is crucial when it comes to physical chemistry.
3. Maths –
· Cengage – Cengage offers the students a wide variety of questions that they can practice and learn how to solve different patterns of questions that are generally asked in JEE. It is a book where all the types of questions are given. Students can easily build their concepts on any topic. A huge number of examples are solved in the book in every chapter. Even by solving & practicing the examples, you can get confidence in the given topic.
· Topic-wise worksheets – In many coaching institutes, several worksheets are given for each topic in maths, which contains many questions on the topic that has been taught. Practicing these questions and then clearing your doubts of the questions that you were not able to solve can be really helpful in your journey of preparation for IIT JEE. Make sure to not ignore these worksheets and solve them for each topic that they are given so that you are able to practice many questions on each topic which is what is needed in order to get better at Maths – lots of practice.